33rd Annual Cross Country Classic – An Invitation
We would like to invite your team to join us and compete in the 33rd Annual Cross Country Classic, co-hosted by Woodbridge, Estancia, and Costa Mesa high schools and the Newport-Irvine Rotary Club. The meet is sponsored by VS Athletics.
Two great nights of racing! To provide optimum racing conditions and accommodate additional team entries, our meet will take place on two evenings: Friday, September 20, 2013 and Saturday, September 21, 2013. All divisions will include races “under the lights” at Estancia High School in Costa Mesa, CA. Red and White divisions will run on Friday starting at 5:00 pm. Blue and Gold divisions will run on Saturday starting at 4:00 pm.
Check the Meet Schedule for race start times. Please mark your calendars with the date and let us know as soon as possible, if you plan to attend. We cap the full team entries at 180 and the spots fill up fast.
The Estancia High School grounds, Stadium and neighboring Fairview Park makes for a great cross country course. The course is scenic, allows for great visibility of the runners, is “crazy” fast, has a wide and less crowded starting line, has a long straight away start and safer racing conditions (cool ocean breeze, grass, and dirt running surface). Staging the meet on Friday and Saturday nights, gives everyone the unique opportunity to run under the lights and under ideal weather conditions. No worries about hot September weather.
If you are able to attend, please contact us ASAP. The meet turned away about 20 schools last year. It feels up fast! Also, if you have a preference on divisions (blue, gold, red, white), please let us know ASAP and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
Good luck during the track season. Please contact us here ASAP to secure a spot in the meet!
Please check back regularly to this website for more information. For more information on how your participation in our meet can be make most enjoyable, please contact George Varvas at 949.632.4327 or by e-mail.
Thank you for your school’s participation in the Cross Country Classic! See you in September!
George Varvas (949.632.4327)
Woodbridge High School Cross Country
Facts about our meet:
- Staging the meet under ideal weather conditions and under the lights. The late afternoon cool ocean breeze and evening temperatures will give your athletes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the excitement of night racing in cross country while also avoiding the very hot September weather.
- Bringing together the top teams and individuals from multiple states for the ultimate in early-season competition. Year after year, this meet consistently draws many of the top ranked teams and individuals in California and the Nation (220+ schools, 10,000+ athletes).
- Having a course that is suitable to the conditioning level of all your athletes for this early part of the season. The entire course is on flat fast grass/dirt surfaces.
- Handing-out over 3600 individual medals (100 per race) and over 216 team trophies (6 per race).
- Providing on-line and hard-copy accurate computerized results within minutes of the last finisher in each race.
- Having digital clocks for the mile and 2-mile splits.
- Making water/fluids available on the course and after the race.
- Setting-up a festive health and expo fair with information and give-aways for your athletes.
- Providing an easy fund-raiser that will afford your team the opportunity to raise needed funds for your team’s activities/trips. Contact Jerry Rekers for information at firstname.lastname@example.org.